Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Learning Wikis

This is the first time for me to know about Wikis. After I read some postings from websites, I am getting to know a Wiki is a website that lets multiple users add, remove and edit content. I like Meredith Farkas’s slide presentation and her article. I got some ideas from her:
1. a wiki allows a group of people to collaboratively develop a website.
2. do not need to have the knowledge of HTML or other markup languages.
3. anyone can add to edit content
4. flexible and extensible

But it has some disadvantage:

1. disorganized
2. too open
3. hard to control
4. may easy get vandalism and spam

The ideas I got from wiki is that our library can use it as a tool:
To create online communities between library and patron
To create an internal on line newspaper
To post information /announcement
To post handouts, tutorials, discussions suggestion and more
To take memos and conference for management

I really like our library to create online newspaper with wiki. It will be faster and easier for our staff to post news from each branch.

No comments: